Saturday, August 23, 2008

First Morning Run

I'm not a morning person, never have been and likely never will be, but somehow I was able to wake up at the crack of dawn (ok maybe it was 8:30am) and go for a run. Following the Couch-to-5k plan, this was technically day two of week 7, so I had to run for at least 25 minutes. I plotted a 3 mile route using mapmyrun.com that put he Enemy Hill (see previous post) right at the beginning of mile 2. As I approached the hill, I was feeling pretty good, my legs were loose and my breathing was relatively controlled. By the time I got up half-way, however, my legs were screaming and I was panting like a dog in heat. I tried to motor through it but I had to give up at the 3/4 mark. I only had to walk for about a minute or so and then began slowly running again. One good part about the Enemy Hill is that afterward is a slight decline for the next half mile or so. That gave my hamstrings a little bit of time to recover as my quads took most of the load. I finished my time ok, even tacking on an extra minute at the end to make up for the minute I had to walk. After the run I was thinking only one thing: the Hill is mine on Monday.

2 comments:

PointSpecial said...

I agree wit you about mornings... I do not like them unless they are at the end of a night!

Truth be told, once I am up, I am productive... but I just do NOT like the whole getting up part!!

How much longer is your training? When is your race?

Keep up the good work... it gives me hope that I can do it!!

Michael said...

I've two more weeks on the Couch-to-5k but my race isn't until the first weekend of October. My plan is just to slowly increase my distances each week and try to incorporate more hills. I'm hoping that by race day the 5k will seem almost easy. Here's to hoping!